Skip Navigation Welcome to Essex, Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.

Advanced Search
Essex, Massachusetts Town Seal
ECRECC REgional 911 Alerts




 
Chronology of Roads and Buildings





 Essex, Mass.
Chronology of Roads and Buildings






This chronology lists history of schools, firehouses, churches, mills, and other buildings in Essex. It also lists roads, canal, and railroad activity.







YEAR
EVENT
1650
"Latin School" established in Chebacco to prepare youths for Cambridge
1654
Road from Ipswich to Chebacco laid out (little more than a footpath)
1656
First sawmill in Chebacco
1679
Sills laid for a meeting house in Chebacco; work halted by court order. Building raised, despite order, through efforts of the women of the Parish (April)
Building completed (July) following court permission
1681
First Meeting House dedicated. Gallery and turret added.
Parsonage built for John Wise, near the Meeting House
1687
Spring Street opened when John Cogswell divided his 300 acre grant among his four sons.
1695
Nathaniel Rust, the first schoolmaster, began teaching in a room in his home (now on John Wise Ave.)
1700
In Chebacco were a church, a school, five sawmills, one shipyard, three bridges, and two causeways.
1702
First school house erected (on the common)
1712
Tanning yard established alongside brook, in back of Burying Ground
1718
New (second) Meeting House built on the common
1733
A Pound constructed
1741
School held in a house at the Falls two months each year
1742
School sessions held two months at the Falls, two months on the South side of the River, and two months at the schoolhouse on the Common (an annual arrangement)
1752
Separatists' new meeting house built on site of present Congregational Church
1754
Sixth Parish purchased property on spring Street as location for parsonage for Mr. Cleaveland
1757
First schoolhouse sold; second schoolhouse built on same site.
1761
First schoolhouse at Falls
1774
A pound, built of stone, established.
1779
First schoolhouse built on south side of Chebacco River
1793
New Meeting House constructed on site of third meeting house (present Congregational Church)
1797
Bell cast by Paul Revere installed in meeting house
1800
A new schoolhouse was built as the Falls, on the site of the first one.
1801
A second schoolhouse built on the south side of the river
A new schoolhouse in the North district
1809
The Christian Baptist society erected a meeting house on site of present United Methodist Church
1817
New road to Manchester built
1819
Chebacco Parish, separated from the Town of Ipswich by the Massachusetts Legislature; incorporated as the Town of Essex
1821
Essex Canal opened, for moving timbers between the Merrimac and Chebacco Rivers
1824
Engine house built across from congregational church at site of present White Elephant Shop. Engine and equipment purchased by Town.
1834
A new "poor house" built in the town
A bark mill established at the Falls for a tanning business
1835
A school house constructed in the center of Essex (now the Shipbuilding Museum)
1836
The Universalist church constructed in the center of Essex
1841
New schoolhouse in the South District
1842
Congregational Meeting House remodeled to provide a second-floor Sanctuary and a first-floor meeting hall. The selectmen occupy an office in the corner of the meeting hall
1845
Schoolhouse built in the East District
1851
New engine house on Thompson Island, near the causeway
New fire engine for the town
1854
Horse/ carriage sheds built at Congregational Meeting House
1860
Records indicate operation of four rope-walks in Essex at this time
1864
Hardy's Hall and the engine house at the end of the causeway destroyed by fire
1865
Construction of a new engine house on the causeway
1867
First Essex post office located in Richardson's Hall
1893
Construction of Essex Town Hall; transfer of all Town offices and all Town meetings from the Congregational Meeting House to the new building
1946
Universalist church destroyed by fire. Rebuilt on same site.








Copyright © 2000 by Kurt A. Wilhelm


 
Image of Essex, Massachusetts
 Essex, Massachusetts Town Seal
Town of Essex, Massachusetts
Website Disclaimer
Virtual Towns & Schools Website